Monday, June 13, 2011

What research can do!

The type of research I refer to is looking for ones family. I have been working on my family tree which crosses over to several family trees: two of my sisters married to brothers therefore my brothers-in-law's family become in essence part of my family. I contacted a gentlemen who was looking for information for his family tree regarding one of my brothers-in-law and strangley he had the same surname as Uncle Henry. The gentleman is a couple of years younger than me and remembers my sister Rita's wedding (I was a bridesmaid at 6yrs old)and he was there. He turns out to be the grand-son of Uncle Henry. He is also the second cousin to three of my nephews and one niece. Uncle Henry was not related to me but back then out of respect for older relatives of friends (his sister-in-law was my god-mother) the title of Uncle or Aunt was used.

I was really "blown away" as today I received an email from another one of my nieces with some questions she had regarding her childhood and she mentioned that she remembered Uncle Henry!!!!

This whole family thing started because I decided to write about growing up in the UK with my family, the more I researched the more amazing things I discovered - thanks to the internet and a little help from my eldest living sister and brother.

One regret I have and that is not asking/listening to my elders when I was younger when they started telling their "stories".

No comments:

Post a Comment