Friday, April 1, 2011

Small World

I thought the world was "small" back in the 80's when I purchased a new car from a salesman who was from Chandlers Ford in Hampshire, UK; that is were I lived for many years prior to immigrating to the United States. Seeing the advertisement recently for the movie "Hop" and having watched "Alice in Wonderland" with Johnny Depp and other such movies started me thinking about the books I loved as a child about "Rupert Bear". I discovered that "Rupert Bear" had been around since November 1920 as a comic strip in the Daily Express newspaper. I had a brilliant idea that this would also be a wonderful movie idea. In my research I found that the movie rights had already been"spoken" for back in 2005. Since 2008, Stuart Trotter has been the pen and illustrator for "Rupert Bear". In researching Stuart Trotter I found that he was introduced to the world of children's books when he worked for a company called Purnell in Paulton, Somerset, UK. Paulton is a small village between Bath and Bristol. Upon reading the above information is when the world got really small for the following reason; from the age of 5 yrs to 10 yrs I lived in Paulton, Somerset. My mother worked for Purnell and also did some piece meal work at home in the evenings and weekends. My sister and I would help our mother with her work which was taking pages that would later make a pop up book (new at that time), we would have to press out the perforations and fold where shown to make the "items" on the pages "pop" up. I wonder what tomorrow will bring?!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment